Transforming Lives Through Literacy
“Human kind’s most precious asset is our children, and our children are our future.”
-Barbara Hammond (The Learning Alliance’s CEO and Co-Founder)
The Learning Alliance is committed to creating a smarter community for today’s readers and tomorrow’s leaders. This commitment is strengthened through our Early Literacy Model, encompassing four areas of impact:
Excellence in Teaching
Teacher quality is seen as the most important variable affecting student achievement, even more so than demographic factors (Darling-Hammond 2000). Understanding this, The Learning Alliance celebrates educators and provides them resources to ensure that the Science of Reading is taught effectively in every K-3 classroom.
Excellence in Teaching Programs:
- Literacy coaches providing embedded coaching to K-2 educators on every
- Professional development to ensure K-3 educators and leaders have the
knowledge and skills to support effective reading instruction
- Acceleration Team providing in-the-moment feedback to accelerate educators’
learning about the Science of Reading
Extended Learning for Students
Providing students in Kindergarten through 3rd grade additional, well-structured time through The Learning Alliance’s extended learning programs is more critical now than ever to close gaps and make up for COVID learning loss. Our programs deliver targeted intervention and academic enrichment during school, after school and in the summer.
Extended Learning Programs:
- Moonshot Academy offers literacy-based, immersive learning experiences afterschool and during the summer
- K-3 interventionists provide struggling students small-group instruction every day
- Literacy on the Lagoon provides hands-on, experiential learning in partnership with the Environmental Learning Center
Building an Engaged Community
In order to reach our Moonshot Moment goal, we need a community that understands the importance of early literacy and collectively holds the goal. Long-term, sustainable change requires that government officials and community leaders make early literacy a top priority. This commitment was made visible in a big way through The Learning Alliance’s FACES campaign launched in early 2022.
Community Engagement Programs:
- Moonshot Community Action Network, a community leadership program with over 125 members
- Moonshot Reading Rocket delivers engaging literacy experiences to families throughout Indian River County
- Moonshot Bookmobile provides free, age-appropriate books to underserved communities
- Moonshot Family Partners Campaign provides business and community leaders with an opportunity to directly support the families our youngest learners through the Read/Talk/Play/Sing/Create Campaign.
Empowering Families Through Literacy
Kindergarten Readiness Collaborative (KRC) is now Moonshot Families (MSF). Moonshot Families Read, Talk, Play, Sing, and Create together to build early literacy skills. Through empowering caregivers to be their child’s first teacher we are ensuring all children are ready for kindergarten and thrive as lifelong learners. Benefits include free books, learning kits, family friendly events, and parenting support from our Family Connection Specialists.
Family Outreach Programs:
- Moonshot Families’ Connection Specialists build trusted relationships with families to ensure their children are ready for Kindergarten
- Free books, Learning Kits, and Videos so every home has the resources to build early literacy skills
- Moonshot Reading Captains raise awareness of the importance of early literacy